How to make a simple (reversible) tote bag
You will need:
2 pieces fabric 13 1/2 inches X 14 inches (outside)
2 pieces fabric 13 1/2 inches X 14 inches (lining)
1 piece 4» X about 44″ long
1. Cut a piece of fabric 4″X 44″ long. Press fabric in half lengthwise.
2. Open fabric up and press each outside edge to the center.
3. Fold fabric in half and press.
4. Top-stitch down each side of strap close to the edge. Cut fabric in half so you have two straps about 22 inches long each.
Cut four pieces fabric 13 1/2 inches X 14 inches.
Sew lining fabric right sides together on three sides and also outer fabric right sides together on three sides. For this bag the bottom is 13 1/2 inches wide and the sides 14 inches long. The bag can be made any size.
3. Pinch bottom corner together and stitch across 1 1/2 inches from corner.
4. Repeat until all four corners have been sewn.
5. Place lining fabric inside the outside fabric right sides together.
6. Place straps in between right sides of fabric on each side about two to three inches from the side edge.
7. Pins straps and top edge of bag well. Stitch around top of bag 1/2 inch from edge. Leave a 2-3 inch opening for turning bag (I usually leave this on the side).
8. Turn bag inside out.
9. Push lining inside the bag and top stitch all the way around the top of bag. This will close up the opening used for turning.